Thursday, April 30, 2009

Burrito Anyone?

As everyone knows from their own lives, Spring is a really busy time of the year. That manifests itself in different ways, but in the Young Life world it often means lower club numbers; as a result, I often find myself changing plans on the fly.

Take Monday night: we were planning on having a Guatemala Club to celebrate the WyldLife leaders who are heading out on the mission trip in a month. We were going to start outside with an egg toss and burrito relay, move inside for some songs and a spicy rendition of "Dance or Dare," and end with leaders sharing about their experiences in Guate last year. The rain changed the first plan, and numbers changed the rest.

Instead of doing this club, we opted for an intense game of catch phrase (girls won) and then a few rounds of the game psychiatrist. In the middle of psychiatrist I realized that I had all the ingredients for burritos from the relay that never happened, so naturally, I offered to make kids and leaders burritos. Pretty much every guy took me up on the offer.

My walk aways from the night? I love that I have a job where relationships matter. In the corporate world my numbers would be disastrous, but the kids who came felt loved and cared for by leaders, and we all had a great shared experience. It was a huge success.

I also love that I work a job where I can procure all the ingredients for a great burrito from a brown bag and no one asks any questions.

Welcome to spring in Young Life!

1 comments:

Sherry L. de Alvarez said...

This makes me smile Little Wit! I'm not sure why, but maybe b/c it reminds me about how much I do also really love what I do...even on the days that I complain! Now...I need to know the details of these games...they could save these last few days for me!!!!!