Sunday, November 4, 2007

An Addiction

I'm addicted to blogging. It's cathartic for me, so I'm going to keep going...whether or not anyone reads it (it's not all about competition anyway, right?).

We sang a powerful song in church today. Trinity PCA (my church here) has a partnership with a prison ministry, and some reps from that ministry were at our church today. The worship leader writes songs specifically for the audience, and this one really hit me:

__________________________________________________
Here I am

If you were looking for accomplishment, then you know I wouldn't stand a chance. But you said you wanted failures, so here I am.

CHORUS: Thank you God for love I don't deserve; Thank you God for love I did not earn

If you were looking for intelligence, then you know I wouldn't stand a chance. But you said you wanted fools, so here I am.

If you were looking for good citizens, then you know I wouldn't stand a chance. But you said you wanted prisoners, so here I am.

If you were looking for faithful men, then you know I wouldn't stand a chance. But you said you wanted doubters, so here I am.

If you were looking for righteous men, then you know I wouldn't stand a chance. But you said you wanted sinners, so here I am.

If you were looking for worthy men, then you know I wouldn't stand a chance. But you said you wanted me, so here I am.
__________________________________________________

If my life in Christ was about me and what I have to bring, what I have to offer, then I would be nothing. It's so beautiful how Christ enters our weaknesses and makes them strengths, how he uses our vulnerability to bring change and hope into the world. I forget that sometimes in the face of all the pain and brokenness I see everyday. Christ doesn't ask us to change the world, he asks us to come as we are and offer ourselves as living sacrifices. That's something we can do.

1 comments:

mwitte said...

Hey Annette, I am still reading all of your posts and it is good to see that you are figuring out the reason you were placed in that school. I really liked the song that you posted, it definately keeps us aware that we are not perfect and God does not need or expect us to be perfect. I hope everything keeps going great for you. Talk to you soon.

Mark