Monday, April 7, 2008

Diving back in...



LOOK: Mom, Dad, Len, and Carrie at breakfast at the Quetzal reserve. This picture is especially for my favorite big brother Mark and all the crap he's been giving me!!!! ;)

School has proven to be somewhat of a "break" after the busyness of Semana Santa, but if you know me at all you know that I never have an abundance of the elusive free time. Here's an update on what's been happening both in and out of the classroom.

1) Freshmen English: I assigned "The Prince and the Pauper" over Semana Santa, and as an assessment I'm having the students write a comparison/contrast paper between the novel and the movie "Freaky Friday" which we watched in class. Mostly, I want the students to examine why the concept of switching roles/places is so rampant in media. One morning in class I started them thinking in this direction by telling my "life story." I told them I was born with a terrible blood disease that would lead straight to my death (insert lots of dramatic details here), but someone offered to give his blood in place of mine, to take my place and give me life. At this point, the students were upset that I lied to them...I never lied though, I was born with sin and without Christ's blood in place of mine, I'd be dead.

2) Middle School Basketball: This is my current greatest disappointment of my time here. I was/am so excited about coaching middle school girls' basketball, and the girls just aren't interested. We have a great group of 6th grade girls who are enthusiastic and hardworking, but we only have six people--four of whom are new to basketball. We're going ahead with it and teaching the girls as much as we can, but it's hard without the possiblity of scrimmaging. I'm learning to rework my expectations to match the reality of what's happened, but I have a really difficult time understanding people who don't LOVE basketball :)

3) Freshmen girls Bible Study: After many roadblocks and issues to work around, I finally have a Bible Study/discipleship group going for this quarter. Six of the ten girls are coming out, which is more than I was expecting! We're using the time to explore a little bit about how Jesus' teachings really play out in the day-to-day life of a freshmen girl. Let me tell you, after leading YL Bible Studies for the past four years, it's a whole different world jumping back into the Christian School Bible study scene. My prayer is that the girls will drop their inhibitions and be real with each other in their struggles, questions, and thoughts.

More to come soon--pictures of Middle School and High School banquet...but I didn't want to overwhelm anyone with too big of a post!

2 comments:

Phyllis said...

Way to put Mark in his place Annette! I can tell you aren't afraid of your BIG Brother at all!
Thanks for the newest updates. I think I would be one of those who you might not understand as I don't "love" to play basketball. Then again, I don't love to play any sports ~ I am 100% spectator all the way! Even now when our Tigers are a very disappointing 0-6 I am still a spectator. That's ok, the season has just begun. Sounds like you are continuing to challenge your students in the classroom as well as outside of it. I can really see that God is using you in mighty way there. Until later ~ Shalom Phyllis

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the proof that your parents were actually there.

I am truly amazed at what you are teaching your students. I can think of many teachers that could add some creativity to their teaching.

I can understand what your feeling with basketball. I feel the same way concerning piano. I just don't understand why Kevin just doesn't want to learn piano. It's a skill everyone should learn. Just keep working with those girls. They'll get it.