Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Work!

My YL team safely arrived around 9:00 on Saturday night and the trip officially started with a hike up a volcano on Sunday. It was fun sharing the Pacaya experience with my friends from home. The pyromaniac in a few boys came out and that was a little scary, but we all survived.

Monday morning our work started. We are divided up into five teams that are in two neighboring communities in zone 3. Zone three is built around the city dump and many people make their living sorting through the stuff in the dump. Groups are mixing and laying concrete floors for families living on dirt, rebuilding houses, putting roofs on, and more. It's hard work, which is good for our group!!!!

I don't have time for a full update, so I want to share one highlight: one of my students who I worked with all semester was adopted out of a terrible life in the neighborhoods that we are working in. She has never shared her story with more than 2 or 3 people, and only close friends. When I told her about our group, she said, "Miss Witte, I want to share my story with them. I think I can help or impact at least one person." So on Monday, Felicita shared her story...and she impacted us all. I'm so proud of how God's working in her life...for a 17 year old girl to say that she's angry at God about the crap she went through, BUT knows he was in control is a powerful experience.

More to come, but Brady, the YL staff person here has more consistent internet and started a blog specifically for our group: www.vjguatemala.blogspot.com

1 comments:

Mark said...

That is great that you are getting so much work accomplished. I know that is hard work but i am sure everyone is having a great time with it. Have a great week with you YL Students!!