Monday, September 15, 2008

I dropped the ball...literally.

Last night I was at the Tigers/White Sox game in Chicago. Some wonderful YoungLife people gave me their tickets for that game...row 12 right behind the Tigers dugout. The game pretty exciting with 2 grand slams in one inning (too bad the Tigers came out on the bottom of that!), but more importantly, I experienced the greatest disappointment of my athletic career: I dropped the ball.

Curtis Granderson caught a fly to end one of the innings, and as he was running in I stood up in my full Tigers' apparel and yelled, "Granderson, throw me the ball!" He looked. He saw the Detroit D. He threw. All my hopes and dreams of having a baseball straight from the mit of Curtis Granderson came hurtling toward me, got lost in the light a little bit, bounced off my hands, and landed three rows down. I dropped the ball and some White Sox fan--who probably never even played little league or knows a thing about baseball--kept it as a souvenir.

The rest of the game went by with many taunts from my friends and the random people around us about how I missed probably my only opportunity for a Major league baseball from a player.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is way to go Annette.
I have a feeling you will never live that one down.

Jessica Brown said...

SAD! you were SO close.

Phyllis said...

Annette, how could you? Oh that's right you played with Basketballs & Soccerballs ~ Guess we can excuse you. Man, I would be really upset with myself and you probably are. I'll try to not rub it in too much.

Happy Birthday ~ Hope you enjoyed Camping!
Phyllis

HannahK said...

we'll have to go to another game sometime and try again! hope you're feeling a little better about the whole experience!