Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Grace and Growth

One major aspect of my ministry with WyldLife is walking with the juniors and seniors in high school who serve as WL leaders. We meet every Monday night--club one week, leadership the next, etc. Last night I was intrigued by the conversation following this question: "If God knows everything, then why did he ask Adam 'where are you?' after Adam and Eve sinned?"

In my mind, I jump right to relationship. God, the creator of Adam and Eve, the God who breathed life into Adam's lungs, who walked with him in the garden, comes to Adam with this question because he STILL desire relationship even if its perfection is forever shattered.

Common response from the high school students: To make Adam feel guilty. God, the judge, wants Adam to wallow in shame over his mistake...not far from how I viewed God when I was in high school--if I do this or go to that or say this then I'm good. As long as I'm not doing _______.

Thank God for grace and growth and I pray that throughout this year I will see shifting images of God in the minds of my high school leaders--the true balance of both grace and truth that God reveals throughout scripture.

1 comments:

Phyllis said...

Thanks for the insight Annette, what a blessing to know a God of Grace. Praying we both never loose sight of this gift.