Thursday, February 7, 2008

Recent happenings...

(we had the school play last week--The Princess Bride--Erin, among other parts, was the priest. "mawwage is what bwings us togedder today.")

The weeks are flying by! I can't believe I've been here for a month and half already. The past couple weeks have been really fulfilling. My classes are going well, and I've seen some students really kick it in gear and work harder than they have all year. Some highlights inlcude the super amazing Middle Ages project my social studies class completed--the process ended in a knighting ceremony; check out the pictures :)


A funny moment from that class: One of my Korean students was writing about the importance of the printing press, and he wrote, "if Johann Gutenburg hadn't created the printing press, then communists would never be able to read books." Yeah, he meant commoners, but hey, I'm sure the communists are grateful too!


Monday night ESL classes at a local church are FUN but challenging--try explaining to a person who knows very little English how to say the word "would." Then add on the fact that Spanish is much more of a phonetic language than English, and you get "wooooulllllld" with some funny head movements. We're making progress though!


A few prayer requests for the next weeks:


1) Next Thursday-Saturday we have servant days. High school classes go out of the city to serve at different missions for a few days, middle schoolers do day trips around the city, and the elementary students work at school. I am a freshmen class sponser, and we're going to Pixabaj to work on a school that was recently built up there. Pray for safety in all the travels and that the students can put themselves aside and experience true servanthood.


2) I a couple weeks I have the opportunity to volunteer with International Justice Mission--an organization that works against injustice worldwide. In Guatemala it is specifically focused on freeing children from sex slavery in and around the city area. A girl at my church is a lawyer for IJM, and I'm going with her and others from my church just to hang out with the children and give them a "joy day." Basically a party so, even for a few hours, they can be kids and not immersed in the pain of their daily lives. Pray for that day, the kids, and the victims of atrocities like this, and the amazing organizations that are working HARD to bring joy and freedom to these people.
1. Elisa the Enforcer with her coat of arms and sword.
2. Rebeca with the MOST AMAZING CASTLE EVER!
3. Armando being dubbed a Knight.

6 comments:

Laurie said...

Annette: I think that castle could be your next gingerbread house!! Keep it in mind. We'll be praying for you, as usual, but also for the special things coming up. Enjoy the many opportunities and different experiences that God is placing in front of you. Love Mom

Keith&Hannah said...

Annette- I was just wondering when you would post again. Good work. Thanks for the funny story about your students and for all the work you're doing down there! The school and students are blessed to have you. Enjoy your many adventures and keep up the posts and the pictures!
Love ya,
Hannah

Jessica Brown said...

Wow... what an opportunity you have to work with IJM. God has placed sex slavery on my heart this past year and I really want to get involved. I can't wait to hear how your day went with those kids. I'll be praying for you!

Mark said...

Annette: I am glad that you have so many oppertunitites the help and serve in different was while you are there. I will be praying for you as you work and help with these project. I am on my way down to New Orleans now and we will start working on Monday.
Mark

Phyllis said...

Annette, We just returned home from a week in Mexico ~ this time it was a vacation! Thought I would check in and see if I lost my first place status while away. As always, I so enjoyed catching up with you and your life in Guatemala. You have such a gift for sharing your life there and I love reading your blog. I will be praying for you and your work there. Shalom ~ Phyllis

Anonymous said...

Annette,
It sounds like you are staying very busy with many different activities. It is nice to hear that your are serving in the community as well as being in the classroom. I look forward to hearing more.