Wednesday, May 28, 2008

School's Out for Summer...School's Out Forever?????

Our last day of school was last Friday. My finals are checked, my grades are in, I'm working on all the end of the year details. And by details, I of course mean re-writing the 9th English and 6th Social Studies curriculums with ACSI Biblical Integrations. No small task, I assure you. Throughout it all, I have had a little time to process the end of the year.

I taught my last class in a classroom for two years. I know that God has an amazing place prepared for my on Wyld Life Staff, but I am really going to miss the classroom. Take this, for example. On my last day of creative writing I had my students share what they learned about writing, what they learned about themselves, and one of their favorite pieces of writing. Three 7th grade girls shared that they joined the class because they wanted to have me again (I student taught them), but in the process fell in love with writing, the importance of words, and gained confidence in their written voices. Another broke into tears as she read a good-bye poem thanking me for all i've taught her about Social Studies, Creative Writing, and basketball. Talk about affirmation from God that I was in the right place this semester.

Or take this English essay: One freshmen girl, when asked what the literature taught her about human nature and herself, responded that a lot of the stories we read (Night, Lord of the Flies, Poison, etc.) dealt with the negative aspects of human nature (aka sin). She said that it was easy to look at the stories and criticize the characters, but she then began to realize that she's just like them. That literature is powerful because it accurately reflects human nature and her nature. She continued to share that our discussions of literature caused her to examine her life and renew her passion for her faith. Again...God is good and was doing greater things with me than I was ever aware of.

My future is in God's hands and if his plans are for me to stay with Young Life or another ministry, then I will pursue that wholeheartedly...and I know that I will still be teaching in very significant ways, but my heart's prayer is that school is NOT out forever!

6 comments:

Mark said...

Congratulation on wrapping up a successful year! It is great to know that God has used you to impact several students lives. Looking foward to seeing you in two weeks.

Laurie said...

Annette:
I always knew that you would make a great teacher - but I also know God will use those gifts to continue to impact the lives of other "students." God's blessings in these last few weeks as you say good-bye to all your new friends and a country you love.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Congrats on completing your first semester as a teacher. Even though you will not be in the classroom, you will be using your gift of teaching in a different manner. God gave you a special gift, and I look forward to seeing how God leads you to use this gift in your future.

We look forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

Keith&Hannah said...

Congratulations on finishing up your year! I hope you're having fun with Emily and I can't wait to see you!

Phyllis said...

Annette, God is the only one who knows if school is out forever for you. However, I do know that you will be teaching many kids in many ways in the days and weeks to come. You have been given an amazing gift of reaching kids and that isn't limited to the classroom. Keep on doing what you are doing and you and your work will be blessed. Looking forward to seeing you here soon. Phyllis

jbajema said...

You are obviously a natural. Keep using the gifts God has given. Congratulations on a successful semester in Guatamala. See you soon.