Monday, August 27, 2007

It's a small world after all...


This is the secondary building at CAG


Yo Quiero Taco Bell...all the Spanish one needs


Pretty flowers, I had to make Herm proud


La Chapina (Karina) y la Gringa (me) a la mercado


The world shrunk considerably this past weekend. I was walking with the ladies in the neighborhood (wow, I really am a teacher...) and mentioned to one that I am from Michigan. She said, "oh, I have a girl staying with me from MI, Grandville actually." Yes, a former Little League teammate of mine--go Superior Sports--went to language school in Antigua and is staying right down the road from me. We reminisced about the bubble and ended up going to a Barlow Girl concert with a bunch of the other teachers. Afterwards we were hungry, and where else is there to have a 10:00 dinner? Taco Bell. I promise, I am actually living in another country!

I picked up my 9th grade English class. Day one went pretty well...they're chatty so I had to lay down the law as best I could. I start government later this week (pray for that one!). Basketball practice is interesting--one gym, one court; ideally boys and girls rotate practicing outside, BUT, it's rainy season. So today we learned our offense and defense in the chapel. It gave true meaning to "I will enter his courts with praise." Ha, don't laugh too hard at my jokes.

If you're wondering about the pictures--"gringo" is not a derrogatory term in Guate like it is in Mexico. Karina calls me gringa, and I call her chapina which is the name for Guatemalan people.

Oh, a note to those who are taking seriously the posting challenge...I want you to post, but keep it clean. Lunch with me is worth it, but no fighting (ahem, Herm, Tasha, and a preemptive warning to Uncle Lenny). And Dad, if you win you'll probably have to pay anyway :)

14 comments:

Len and Carrie said...

Gringa,

Thanks for the pictures, it is nice to see your surroundings. I played softball with your brothers last night. It was another big win. We play again tonight. Hope you are doing well.

Uncle Lennie

Noah's Mama said...

Annette-
Keep me updated on what you are teaching in your English class (and your other classes too!) I need to live vicariously (sp?) through you since I spend most of my day changing diapers and wiping noses!
By the way everyone, I'm not fighting you for the most posts because I get to go out with Annette anyway (even if I pay!)
Love you,
Cheri

Len and Carrie said...

It's great to see your pictures, thanks for posting them.
And as we say in the Dutch, congratulations on the birthday of your father.

Carrie

Anonymous said...

Hi Annette,
This is just a quick not as I am off to school in about 5 min. It sounds like things are going well even though you had to practice in the church.

Love,
Marlene

Keith&Hannah said...

Annette-
I love the pictures! Glad to hear things are going well for you. I have a question about the posting challenge... do extensive emails count for anything or is the only communication you want is posts on your blog? Hope you're having fun coaching and teaching. I'm sure they already love you-- but not as much as me. MISS YOU!
Hannah

Herm said...

Annette,

Even if I win, I lose. Somehow that just does not seem right. Well, I guess mom and I are used to it. Good to see some pictures and yes the world is small as many of us can attest to. By the way, your brother, (Scott) hit a homer last night. They play again tonight.

Love ya,

Dad

Natasha Witte said...

Annette - the pictures are gorgeous! I, like Cheri, plan to live vicariously through you. It sounds like you're getting quite the experience, especially comparing sports in Guate to sports programs here. Keep up the posts - they are great and inspiring! And I will keep all posts clean. Duh. :)

Laurie said...

Annette:
The pictures are great and the food looks good! I am trying to post a note again (this will be my 4th try) - if it doesn't work - I think it's sabotage on the part of your father. It sounds like everyting is going great. Good luck with your goverment class. I'm sure you could get some good hints from your uncles about our government (but it might not be anything you could use in class). The boys lost tonight - so they are done for the season. So what is the name of this girl you met? You are getting to be like your dad - running into people you know wherever you go - That's scarry!!!! Well I better go - you are always in our prayers. Love ya, Mom

Anonymous said...

I just read what your mom wrote. Running into people you know is a Witte thing. I am interested in what you will be teaching in your Government class. Jennifer is taking Government this year. You will have to compare notes.
I love the pictures and look forward to seeing more.

Marlene

Jessica Brown said...

I want in on this challenge! Although we may be to meet in South Bend. Hm... Anyway, I loved seeing your pictures and hearing all of the updates! I'll put a link on my blog to yours so my parents can find you too. Blessings to you... have a fun adventure today!

Love, Jess

Len and Carrie said...

Wednesday morning and after the big win on Monday a 5-1 lose has put us out of the tournament. By the way, if I win this contest (and I am sure I will) I will expect you to pay, not Herm. An alternative would be to come to our house and cook and a special Latin American dish.

Len

Herm said...

Netty,
I saw Doug Jurgens the other day and gave him your blogspot address. We're getting ready for camping and hope to leave Thursday PM. Your nephew continues to call me Oma. Keep sending the pictures. I love the flowers as you well know.

Dad

Len and Carrie said...

Good morning--I'm up early, it isn't even 7am yet. We're off today for a week of camping in the UP, so you might not hear from us for a few days unless we can find an internet cafe up in the wilderness. Blessings, Carrie

Anonymous said...

Annette,
I think Noah must take after his Grandpa Herm. For some reason Herm calls me Ina even when he is calling me in California.

Have a good weekend.

Marlene