Friday, August 31, 2007

On teaching

I am getting a real taste of life as a teacher--I spent almost all night after basketball practice until at least 10:30 lesson planning and grading and doing homework for my class. A few people have asked what I'm teaching, so here is a brief summary. First of all, CAG is on block schedule--so rather than teach units on different topics, they're all rolled up into one long class.

7th: Grammar (parts of speech), short stories (focus on elements of plot), a novel--The Witch of Blackbird Pond, and vocabulary. It's pretty busy, but Monday if vocab day, Wed. short story day, and Fri novel day. We do a little bit of writing and grammar every day.

9th: Because the curriculum didn't come in on time, we started with research papers. I teach various aspects of the research process then the students have a chance to work on their papers.

Government: Origins of U.S. government, moving toward the Constitution. Okay, you all know that I am a nerd, so this won't surprise you. September 17 is the anniversary of the US Constitution so I'm planning a Birthday party with a "National Treasure" esque scavenger hunt :) I'm pretty stoked about it...

English as a Foreign Language: This class will be a lot of trial and error, but I am starting a writing portfolio. It will incorporate reading, writing, and speaking which are obviously important aspects of learning English.

Anyway, that's my life teaching--full time for three weeks starting on Monday.

I should have some good stories and adventures after this weekend, so more to come!

7 comments:

Herm said...

Annette,
I read the desription of the classes you are teaching and it appears you dove in head first. Is what you are doing considered a full load and is the amount and variety of subject matter normal for a student teacher. It also is evident from your writing that you are enjoying it immensely. It's Friday evening and I am just jotting this note before getting back to the campfire.

Love

Dad

Anonymous said...

Annette,
I'm impressed with all you are doing. It sounds like it is an excellent preparation for when you have your own classroom.

I did indeed know that Constitution Day is Sept. 17. We are doing a school wide writing activity. Your National Treasure idea sounds great.

FYI Jennifer actually saw some of the filming of National Treasure II when she was in DC.

Love,
Marlene

Jessica Brown said...

Wow, that is quite the lineup! Sounds very exciting and I look forward to hearing about the National Treasure hunt :). Hope you're having a fun weekend!

Keith&Hannah said...

Annette-
I love the birthday party idea. You're so creative. It sounds like you have quite the work load going on! I hope things continue to go well at school and that you enjoy your classes!
Love ya,
Hannah

Laurie said...

Annette:
Sounds like an exciting week of teaching. Hope it all goes well. We just got back from camping and had a great time. Of course, we missed you. Scott, Cheri, and Noah came up Sunday afternoon and stayed overnight. We had a trailer full of people and lots of fun. Also Tim & Sue Koetje came up Sunday and stayed for dinner. It was fun to see them and to catch up with their family. Brian and Leanne are back at Trinity, and Leanne is an RA this year. Brent is a Junior in High School and Adam is still living in Florida.
Hope you have a great week!! Talk to you soon.
Love,
Mom

Noah's Mama said...

Sorry I haven't written in a while. Noah was sick and I find myself short on "me" time when that happens. You are teaching full time quite early. I hope it goes well. I had a few weeks to get used to the kids before I had to teach full time. Keep me updated on what books you are reading for your classes. I read "The Witch of Blackbird Pond" and like to hear what else you will be reading.
Cheri

Natasha Witte said...

I love hearing your descriptions of what you're teaching. The scavenger hunt sounds awesome and it sounds like you're being a very intentional, passionate teacher. Keep up the good work!