Saturday, August 18, 2007

On Rod, Mario, and a real update

The Tigers/Yankees series has been playing here in Guatemala...watching Tigers' baseball with Spanish commentators makes me miss Mario and Rod! Too bad I didn't get to see any victories!


Okay, now for the real stuff. Over the past week I have been attending New Teacher Orientation and all the beginning of the year teachers' meetings. I have already learned a lot about the C.A.G. culture. C.A.G.'s mission is primarily for missionary kids. These kids are growing up in the overlay between multiple cultures: at this school it's primarily North American, Korean, and Guatemalan. They belong to all while not fully belonging to any. C.A.G. is a place where these students can find a home.

C.A.G. provides a solid, rigorous, academic setting for students so their parents can devote themselves to the mission field here in Guatemala without having to worry about their children's educations. The community here is more interdependent than that of a school in the states: the students need any and all adults in their lives and don't have the outside resources like students in the states.

I think the mission of C.A.G. is a beautiful mission. Every kid, whether a missionary kid or a kid growing up in the inner city, needs a place that he can call his own.

I start teaching tomorrow! Finally the students will fill the classrooms. Over the next few weeks I will be picking up 7th and 9th grade English, an English as a Second Language class, and 12th grade U.S. Government. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out as I will be reporting to four different cooperating teachers :)

7 comments:

mwitte said...

Hey Netty, glad to see that everything is going well. Good luck with the classes tomorrow and I am looking foward to reading how everything is going.

Mark

Anonymous said...

Hi Annette,
It sounds like you have a full schedule with 4 different classes. I'm sure you will do well. I look forward to reading more about all your adventures.

Marlene

Keith&Hannah said...

Annette-
Thanks for the update on the Tigers, and the other good stuff of course. Have fun in your classes tomorrow! Remember the advice you gave me on my first day? Keep that in mind for you too.
Love ya!
Hannah

Jessica Brown said...

Hey Netty,

Your work there sounds so exciting and I'm looking forward to reading about all of the happenings there. Can you post some pictures? I'd love to get a visual. Hope all goes well in class!

Laurie said...

Annette,

This does not coount. This is a test while you are talking to mom.

Herm said...

Netty,

How exciting, your first day, teaching school in a foreign countryand coaching basketball to boot. Have a great week and I will jot you a note later.

Love,

Dad

Natasha Witte said...

The C.A.G. is very intriguing. I can't wait to talk to you more about your opinion of this school.

P.S. You live most of the year in suburban Chicago. HOW are you not a Cubs fan??