Monday, August 20, 2007

On the first day of school...and my new home

On the first day of school a seventh grader gave to me...a tasty box of chocolates! We had a half day today--all classes for twenty minutes. It's amazing to see the differences between middle schoolers and seniors on day one of school.

I start teaching 7th grade English on Wednesday--I'm not too worried about it yet, but I am a little nervous about the government class I'll be teaching. We're starting with philosophy of government: think Montesque (I can't even spell his name...I have a lot of work to do!), Locke, etc. It'll be a great experience and I'll learn a lot in the process.

After a week with the my friend Ethan's family (they took me in like family and made me feel SO comfortable here, a HUGE blessing) I am not settled into my home with the Soderling's. I've enjoyed getting to know the family--they're involved in a lot of ministries down here. Mr. Soderling is a doctor and helps organize Christian physicians and health care. In addition they are starting a Christian school up in the mountains somewhere--hopefully I'll get to see it while I'm here!

I am making some good friends already, which is another blessing--most of you know how much I love to talk with people :) I've been running with another teacher, Karina, and am getting to know her outside of school too.

Basketball practice starts on Thursday! I'll be a coach for the first time...

That's all for now, and I PROMISE that pictures will come--I haven't taken that many yet, I'm a slacker.

2 comments:

Natasha Witte said...

I think it takes an amazingly special person to teach middle school. Kudos to you! We don't start until after Labor Day but we're definitely getting into the mind frame of school.

Unknown said...

Good luck with the whole teaching middle schoolers thing. Anybody who takes on that endeavor has already achieved sainthood in my book. Just for clarification, are you or are you not settled into your new home with the Soderlings? The blog says "I am not settled in..." but then you say things are going well with them. Good luck again with the middle schoolers.