Thursday, September 6, 2007

All is Well in Guate

As you all know by reading and observing the new, Felix changed directions...we've had cloudy skies and more rain than usual, but no severe weather.

My life was increasingly busy this past week as I picked up teaching full time. It went well (I think) and I have my midterm evalutation with all my cooperating teachers and my college supervisor tomorrow. I'm not nervous yet, but hopefully it goes well.

A few stories: I went to a Guatemalan church last Sunday (as opposed to Union Church whose ministry is with English speaking people in Guate). We had communion and sang a lot--I had enough frame of reference during those times that I was able to understand what was going on. We sang some great songs--including good 'ol "Victory in Jesus" and "Amazing Grace" in Spanish of course. I had to laugh because as much as we Dutch CRC people get laughed at for our inability to clap on beat, this church was just as bad! I felt so at home...

Last Saturday I spent the day in the city with new teachers and Sharon Rosa, whose unoffical title is "make all the new people feel loved, supported, and at home." We went to the relief map which is a scaled down version of the whole country of Guatemala. It was built in the early 1900's and gave me a great picture of the geography of the country. Apparently another Central American country wanted a relief map and the architect was assassinated because Guatemalan people wanted to be the only ones with such a structure.

We then went to the Central Market, the national cathedral, and out for lunch at a pretty nice restaurant. It was a good day and I learned a lot about the city and history of the area.

Off to a long night of lesson planning...

7 comments:

Mark Van Drunen said...

Blessings to you, Annette, in Guatemala! I was excited to see that you have a blog (posted in the First Church bulletin) so now we can live vicariously through your experience, learn, and pray for you.
Marcia Van Drunen

Mark Van Drunen said...

Hey, you'll notice that it looks like Mark wrote you a comment but it's because he has the gmail account, and not me!
:)
Marcia

Anonymous said...

Annette,
I'm glad you are enjoying yourself and that you are having a chance to see some of the country. Teachers also need a time for fun.

I'll be praying for you tomorrow as you have your evaluation.

Marlene

Keith&Hannah said...

Annette- I know you're going to do wonderful in your evaluation! How could they not love you down there? I'm glad you didn't get hit too hard with the storms down there. Stay safe and I'll see you soon!
Hannah

Herm said...

I trust the rains have subsided in Guatemala and that you are now enjoying fairer weather. We ae enjoying lovely September weather at home. I am sure you did great on your evaluation, hopeyou weren't too nervous. Continue to explore the city and country as you can, your time there will soon be over. You remain in our payers.

Love Dad

Len and Carrie said...

What about those birds I asked about.

Natasha Witte said...

How's the planning going? Overwhelming? Manageable? We had our first week last week and it was kind of a hard one. :) I hope things are going better for you! Love you!