Monday, September 17, 2007

Quince Weekend

I had a lot of adventures this weekend--Independence Day weekend in Guatemala. On Saturday I hiked a live volcano (more on that later...I'm writing something about it for church...).

Saturday I went with some friends to Pana Jachel, a town on Lake Atitlan. Atitlan is on Time Magazine's list of places to visit before you die. IT IS BEAUTIFUL. Pictures don't do justice, but I'll include them anyway. We took a boat across the lake (we actually rode on TOP of the boat the whole way...sitting on the roof) to a city called Santiago. There is a big, beautiful Catholic church in Santiago which, as recently as the mid 1990's served as a refuge for those being pursued by guerilla warriors during the civil war. There was a monument for all the people of Santiago who died in the war.

This morning, after watching the sunrise, we went kayaking on the lake and stopped by a nature preserve where we saw MONOS (monkeys) in the wild! It was so sweet, I love los monos :)

It was a refreshing weekend full of beauty, excitement, and awe at God's creation.

Happy Constitution Day!



Trisha Williams (a fellow teacher) and me
on top of the boat on the way to Santiago.


The church in Santiago


Kayaking on lake Atitlan with
the volcanoes in the background.


Yes, that is hot lava. The real stuff--
not the red carpet in Oma's basement :)


Pakaya and its lava!

12 comments:

Herm said...

Awesome! I came to the computer to see if you updated the blog, you did and then I walked back to the Tigers game and they blew it. Lost it in eleven innings. They lost a 5 - 2 lead as late as the eighth inning. Anyway sounds like a pretty awesome weekend. Later!

Herm

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures. It sounds like you had a great weekend and were able to see some wonderful sites.

Yes, today is Constitution Day, but it is also your cousin's birthday. Oh and a pre happy birthday to you. I hope you have a great day on the 20th.

Marlene

Unknown said...

wow! it's beautiful! I'm so glad you're having a good time! i love reading your blog.

Len and Carrie said...

Love the pictures, I have always wanted to see hot lava.

Keith&Hannah said...

Annette-
Although it partially looks like one big camping adventure in a pretty amazing location (and you know how I feel about camping) I wish I could be there too! Thanks for posting pictures! What are your birthday plans?? Hope you get to do something fun!
Hannah

Jessica Brown said...

Love it! What an adventure! Happy birthday a couple days early.

Len and Carrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Len and Carrie said...

We know that you are having too much fun to look for birds for us, but if you see the social flycatcher or the magnificent hummingbird let us know. Pictures of them would be a real bonus.

Laurie said...

Anette: Wow - cool pictures and a very fun weekend. Was that your birthday treat? Have you ever gone kayaking before? Did you tip over? Are you getting your fill of the mountains - it looks beautiful. Well - hope you have a great birthday. We will be camping but of course we will be thinking about you. Love ya, Mom

Len and Carrie said...

We are ready for more news any time.

Len

Natasha Witte said...

Wow! Those pictures are gorgeous. I'm sure it was completely surreal. That's awesome. And by the way, happy birthday TODAY! xoxo

Ben Holst said...

Annette, just had a riot reading your blog. I always ask your dad how you're doing when I see him. Now I can find out when I want. Not sure if you remember me or not, it goes back to your TEC days. Glad to see you're having fun. Ben Holst