Wednesday, September 26, 2007

And the fish cry foul...

Okay, my dad officially wins for the comment that made me laugh the hardest. I hadn't thought about our goldfish in a while. If you haven't met Dora, Dutch, Nemo, Lazarus, Rocky, and Snowball then you should make your way to Grandville. How big are the little guys these days?

Here are some brief tidbits of update: no theme, no topic, just some insights into life here.

I spent last weekend at the beach: Monterrico is a little piece of paradise! One of my cooperating teachers offered her beach house for the weekend so I went with the Fry's and my office buddy Trisha. So beautiful, and I saw a lot of Pelicans :)

I'm finished teaching 7th grade and tomorrow is my last day with 9th grade. I feel like I have nothing to do, but I think my sleepyness is catching up a little bit. I've been hitting a wall by about 9 every night.

Funny teaching moment: I'm teaching the Constitution (and my scavenger hunt was a HUGE hit!!!!!) and was focusing on the executive branch. As all you astute US Citizens may or may not know, in order to serve as President you have to be 35 and a natural born citizen. After explaining that, one of my students raised his hand and asked, "so, you can't be president of the US if you were born by C-section????" Totally serious. And I thought Nike made cars...

Anyway, I answered his question and had a great laugh about it later!

Oooooh, this is a big deal right now: finals for Latin American Idol are tomorrow night. One of the finalists is from Guate, so the kids are all super excited about it. It's funny because the judges are all Latin American equivalents of Simon, Paula, and Randy.

Here are some beach pictures...don't be too jealous!!!!



The waves were GIANT...like 6-7 feet!









The life of and English teacher: we even have to grade at the Beach!








Kelli's beach house...the pool provided a break from the crashing waves: rough life, huh? (oh, and the super cute little Guatemalan girl is Xela Fry, one of the coolest little girls I've ever met!)






The Beach: black sand on the Pacific Ocean

8 comments:

CassieinKibera said...

Wow, it was really great to read your last couple blogs on life! It sounds so amazing there, I can't wait for you to get back and fill me in on more details. The "c-section" comment made me about pee my pants laughing and i'm pretty sure I nearly woke up my sleeping roommate! When do you get back from Guatemala, will you be home Oct 5th through say maybe the 10th?! I hope so! Keep blogging so I can stay tuned in!
P.S. love the pics, black sand? crazy!

CassieinKibera said...

Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Really belated I know...I'm sorry, I'll work on my tardiness for next year!

Anonymous said...

Annette,
I loved the comment about the c-section. Uncle Tom also thought it was great. I'm going to share this with my teacher friends.

Once again your pictures are great. It looks like you are having quite the life there, staying at a beach house and all. Must be nice.

Keep Sunday, Oct. 7 open for a visit from Jennifer and myself. Hope to see you then.

Marlene

Herm said...

I know all about hitting that wall at 9:00PM. And you mock.... I'm sure I would enjoy a few days at that beach house. Looks like a good time.

Keith&Hannah said...

Love the pictures and the story! I am slightly disappointed about the error by the picture of you grading English papers. I'm not so sure how I feel about you as a teacher anymore. Only kidding. You know you're wonderful, you win awards for graduates before you even officially graduate. I'm getting very excited for you to come home!!

travelingtroll said...

My APOLOGIES...I did have an error next to the picture of me grading English papers; Thanks, Hannah, for holding me accountable ;)

Herm said...

By the way, the goldfish have matured quite nicely. They are all living and have grown quite a bit in length and girth. They are not yet read for Noah to catch though.

Jessica Brown said...

looks amazing!